For a fashion lover and extreme over packer like myself, packing can be a daunting task. We are supposed to fit all of our shoes, dress, and accessories in that little bag? And if you’re flying it’s even worse. But since being at school (and having to fly home every break) I have mastered the art of fitting a lot in such a small space. Hopefully I can provide you with some tips to make packing a little easier.
Destination is everything
Destination helps determine your entire wardrobe. If your going on a ski trip your going to want thick layers but if you going to Hawaii ski pants are going to be a little warm. As do activities, if you are going to spending the trip at the beach you’ll need a different wardrobe then if you’re going to be spending the trip hiking or biking.
Here are the basics you are going to need for a warm 4-day vacation.
- 4 bottoms: You can mix it up depending on your trip. You could bring 4 shorts or 4 skirts or 2 skirts/ 2 shorts.
- 4 tops: Keep them simple so you can easily mix and match with the bottoms. You can add flare with accessories.
- 1 casual dress: Bring a simple dress that can easily be worn as a cover-up or to go shopping or go to lunch.
- 1 “dressier” dress: Just in case you decide to go to a nice dinner.
- 2 pairs of sandals: Keep them simple but cute. And keep them neutral so they can go with anything. (*If you plan on doing a lot of walking/ site seeing bring a pair of sneakers too)
- 1 pair of wedges: These can be worn to your nice dinner or just to go shopping
- 1 big bag: Bring a cute beach bag that can easily be used as a purse during the day
- 1 light jacket: Even in warm places it can get a little chilly at night.
- Jewelry/scarves: This is where you can go a little bit crazy. Jewelry/scarves are small and don’t take up too much room.
- 3 Bathing Suits: Bathing suits are the most important thing to bring for a warm trip, as you will probably spend a lot of your time in them. Pack bathing suits last since they are small and can easily be stuffed in the cracks.
- Hat: For laying out on the beach or by the pool.
Don’t forget sunscreen, the most important toiletry. As for shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. bring them in travel size bottles. It will save you room (and if your flying you have to remember the weight limit), plus you won’t need a full bottle for a few days. If you need more ways to save room (or weight) then limit your makeup. Since it’s summer give you face a break and leave the foundation at home. Keep your face natural by only bringing cover-up (for pesky breakouts), lip gloss and mascara.